Covid-19 Cases in Maharashtra, Delhi, UP, West Bengal, Kerala Today Latest News

Covid-19 Cases in Maharashtra, Delhi, UP, West Bengal, Kerala Today Latest News

Bengaluru: Commuters during a traffic jam amid COVID-induced lockdown in Bengaluru (PTI)

Coronavirus India Live Updates: The Health Ministry on Monday said a record 69 lakh doses of Covid vaccines were administered on Day one of implementation of ‘Revised Guidelines for Covid Vaccination’. While vaccines were so far free for people above 45 years of age, under the revised guidelines that came into play from Monday, the facility has been extended to everyone above 18 years.

The national capital Monday recorded 89 fresh Covid-19 cases — the lowest so far this year and 11 deaths. The positivity rate dropped to 0.16 per cent, according to data shared by the health department here.

India recorded 53,256 new covid-19 cases in the 24 hours ending 8 am Monday, taking the country’s total infections to nearly 3 crore. This is the lowest spike of daily cases in 88 days. Out of these, active cases further declines to 7.02 lakh, while over 2.88 crore people have recovered after testing positive. With 1,422 new fatalities, the country recorded the lowest daily deaths since April 16. The total death toll is now over 3.88 lakh. Kerala, with 11,654 cases on Sunday, has now overtaken Karnataka to become the state with second highest number of total cases.

From today, the government will provide free vaccines to all above the age of 18. Earlier this month, Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced that the government would revert to a system of centralised procurement of Covid-19 vaccines and make jabs free for all adults. In this, the Centre will procure 75 per cent of total vaccines and distribute it among states. Private sector hospitals will be able to purchase the rest 25 per cent and charge a maximum of Rs 150 per dose.

With the peak of the second wave behind us, almost 90 per cent of over 650 districts for which data is available, are now in a phase of steady decline. West Bengal is the only major state where active cases have increased in the last one week. The other two states — Manipur and Mizoram — have seen a rise in active cases, but in both these states, the number is well within 1,000.

After a ravaging second wave, from hotels, tourism, transport and aviation to trade and small manufacturing units, sectors of the economy are beginning to report a disproportionate impact of the distress — in the form of declining incomes and rising loan repayment defaults.

Meanwhile, according to data released by the Reserve Bank of India, 159 districts in 25 states across the country saw a decline in fixed deposits from January to March. This data indicates rising cash holdings with people owing to the financial impact of covid-19.

Related Articles
COMMENTS